Welcome to the Daily Weather Update from FOX Weather. It's Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2023.
Start your day the right way with everything you need to know about today's weather. You can also get a quick briefing of national, regional and local weather whenever you like with the FOX Weather Update podcast.
The hits keep coming: Another atmospheric river storm to slam California Tuesday
More than 15 inches of rain has been recorded in the mountains of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, with the Santa Barbara airport reporting its fourth-wettest day on record with 4.22 inches.
At least four rivers rose to record levels, and residents of several communities were forced to evacuate their homes.
Another storm system will crash ashore Tuesday, but it won't be as intense as what the state experienced Monday, according to the FOX Forecast Center.
Tuesday's rain will be more showery in nature, but a new threat will emerge – the chance of severe thunderstorms with small hail, damaging wind gusts, waterspouts and even the possibility of a brief tornado.
Things to know:
- Dramatic time-lapse videos show floodwaters turn roads into rivers from atmospheric river slamming California
- California flash flooding forces Montecito, other celebrity communities to evacuate
- How rare are tornadoes in California?
How to track California's atmospheric river storms
Torrential rain, life-threatening flooding, damaging wind gusts and power outages have all been reported because of the latest powerful atmospheric river storm that has been slamming California. There's also the risk of severe thunderstorms during this event, and there's a low chance for a brief tornado in Southern California – something that hasn't happened in several years.
The FOX Forecast Center has several graphics showing where the storm is currently located, as well as information on current power outages, flood alerts and expected rainfall totals through the middle of the week.
Here's where you can take a look at the latest data as the storm makes its way across California.
Things to know:
- Secrets of the SPC: How daily convective outlook graphics are made
- Download the free FOX Weather app to receive potentially life-saving weather alerts on your phone
- How to watch FOX Weather
Once-in-a-lifetime comet sighting
Astronomers discovered a new comet just in time for its closest approach to Earth in early 2023. However, after this encounter, comet C/2022 E3 won't be coming by Earth for a very long time.
And this celestial sighting is a bit like space-speed dating. It was only recently discovered and will be gone before we know it.
Here's what we can expect to see from the comet and the best ways you can catch a glimpse.
Things to know:
- Watch out for these astronomical events in 2023
- Retired NASA satellite crashes into Earth off Alaska's coast
- 'Loss of signal': NASA successfully crashes DART spacecraft into asteroid for planetary defense
- The International Space Station explained: Two decades of astronauts living and working in space
- USDA approves vaccine for honeybees, a first in the US
Need more weather? Check your local forecast plus 3D radar in the FOX Weather app. You can also watch FOX Weather wherever you go using the FOX Weather app, at foxweather.com/live or on your favorite streaming service.