SANDWICH, N.H. – An 84-year-old New Hampshire woman was killed in a house fire likely sparked by lightning, authorities said.
The victim has been identified as Janet Brown of Sandwich.
Firefighters were called about 11 p.m. Thursday to a home in the 200 block of Bennett Street. When crews arrived on the scene, the home was well involved in fire. During suppression efforts, Brown was found dead in the home.
The New Hampshire Medical Examiner’s Office conducted an autopsy Friday. The accidental cause of death was determined to be smoke inhalation.
State Fire Marshal Sean P. Toomey is reminding others of the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home, keeping exits clear of debris and having a home fire escape plan.
Heating systems should also be inspected and maintained on an annual basis. In addition, at least a 3- to 5-foot clearance around any heating appliance from combustible materials, Toomey said.
If you have questions about fire safety in your home, you should contact your local fire department.
Be sure to download the FOX Weather app to track any storms in your area and receive potentially life-saving weather alerts issued by the National Weather Service. The free FOX Weather livestream is also available 24/7 on the website and app and on your favorite streaming platform. The FOX Weather Update podcast also provides weather information for the entire country.