BOULDER, Colo. – When Coloradans were told to evacuate, they didn’t have time to grab much of anything before the flames from the Marshall Fire engulfed their neighborhood. Some were away at work, leaving whatever or whoever was left in their homes.
Many pets didn’t make it out of the fire, and for those that did, they were left stranded without owners looking for them.
"Animals were brought in directly from their families who needed assistance with emergency boarding and by Boulder County Animal Control who rescued them in the field," Jan McHugh-Smith, CEO of Humane Society of Boulder Valley, said.
Many animals were found wandering, and deputies rescued many more.
At least 50 pets were rescued and brought to the Humane Society of Boulder Valley.
"We housed [the] animals and reunited all of them with their guardian," McHugh-Smith said. "Some of these animals are still with HSBV as their family seeks temporary housing."
The humane society provided vet care for those animals that came into their facility with burns and smoke inhalation from the fire.
"We anticipate families will continue to need our services as we begin recovery," McHugh-Smith said.
As more expenses arise, the humane society and local anchor, Kyle Clark, are raising money to help cover costs, ensuring pets and families impacted by the fire get the help they need. Whether it be boarding costs for displaced families that need to board while their homes are rebuilt or vet care for families that can’t afford it, their safety net helps cover those costs.
And for those who lost their pet in the fire, the money raised will also help cover the adoption fees for when they are ready to adopt a new family member.
As of Wednesday afternoon, the campaign raised a quarter of a million dollars.
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley also held a ‘Hope & Healing Vigil,’ providing an honorary space for those animals impacted by the fire.
"Our hearts are with you - we will always be here for you," the Humane Society of Boulder Valley said.